Sunday, September 04, 2005

Labour Day


I am back in school, and I have managed to start the year off on the right foot. I hope I'm still feeling this way when I ask for 1.5 days of personal time to "attend a function" in October. The function is actually Arcade Fire- but I don't think travelling to see one of my favorite bands is going to fly with administration. I want to disclose the least amount of information possible so I can forgo half-truths.

A friend came by for a vist, and since it's been awhile since I'd heard it last, I put on Funeral. This is one cd that we both sing along to. I have a great memory of driving in her car with the cd player louder than the hums and rumbles of her little car singing at the tops of our lungs- happy to have found this gem of a band. The realization on Friday night that in a month's time we were going to be seeing them (twice for me), got my chinker going.

I sent the CD to a friend back in the spring. He didn't get into it as much as I, which is funny because we have gotten into some great music together, and I thought if any cd would bridge the miles of ocean this one would. I guess the good news is that we don't need music to do that when e-mail is at our proverbial beck and call.

I spoke to my father today. He usually calls on Sunday while my mother is at church. That way he can say what he wants without the possibility of her running commentary. She has returned from her huge road trip, viisting family and friends on her way to see, possibly for the last time, her sister who is battling cancer. After visiting with her and my sister for several days I gave her my collection of Harpers magazine to pass the time. Well dad had started reading them since she got back, and off the bat asked me what I thought of George Bush. I paused surprisingly, for I am usually quick to expound my views on republican politics. I thought about it Katrina, being part of the working poor; safe and sound in my apartment, food in the fridge, electricity humming away...and all I could say is "any black person who votes for George Bush is a fucking idiot, despite Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice". Jesus Murphy what was I thinking? There I go talking without thinking again- but I did think, and it still came out. Thank god we are family and on the same page.

I later came across this quote at http://pmrush.blogspot.com/

"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them."- Albert Einstein

Amen.

2 Comments:

At 9/05/2005 12:45:00 PM, Blogger Vivec said...

Can you imagine how much worse off we'd be if Albert Einstein's bottled brain ruled over us all? Endless tyrannically pithy observerations...

 
At 9/05/2005 01:20:00 PM, Blogger Burnt Toast said...

I'd be more concerned about the person whose job it was to explain those pithy observations.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home